Health and safety abroad


See our health and safety policies for health/safety issues, including the COVID-19 pandemic and related restrictions.

Health insurance

Comprehensive German health insurance

Students enrolled in the Junior Year in Munich Program become insured by a German health insurance carrier, Techniker Krankenkasse (TKK), which meets the requirements set by the LMU Munich for the admission of foreign students to the university, as well as the requirements needed for students to receive the residency permit which allows them to live in Germany.

Using a German health insurance carrier has many advantages and benefits beyond basic health or travel insurance. Coverage includes both medical and dental treatment (including regular check-ups), medications, bandages, medical aids, hospitalization and medical treatment during rehabilitation. TKK insurance, however, does not cover repatriation in the event of death (see iNext supplementary travel insurance).

Please note that TKK may or may not cover all pre-existing conditions. Depending on the uniqueness of any pre-existing condition you might have, it's advised that you also maintain your current U.S. health insurance while in Munich as an added precaution. Consult with your health care provider regarding using your U.S. health insurance abroad should that become necessary.

iNext supplementary travel insurance

Students are also enrolled in an iNext Platinum Supplemental Insurance Plan that covers unexpected accidents and illnesses not covered by TKK insurance, e.g., emergency medical evacuation, coverage in non-EU countries, private mental health benefits, repatriation of remains and coverage for the few days of orientation before the TKK insurance begins.

Traveling outside Germany

Students traveling outside Germany but within the EU (and in countries that have agreements with Germany) are covered by their TKK insurance, but only if they take with them a "certificate of insurance for use outside of Germany" (Auslandskrankenschein) which can be obtained at TKK offices for a nominal fee. Information will be provided during orientation in Munich.

Students traveling outside Germany in non-EU countries are covered by their iNext Platinum Supplementary Insurance Plan. Students may also purchase supplementary ADAC Auslandskrankenschutz upon arrival in Munich (about $15) which is valid for the entire year instead of obtaining a certificate each time they wish to travel outside Germany. This information will be provided during orientation in Munich.

Safety abroad

Student safety abroad is a primary concern of the Junior Year in Munich Program. Safety and security issues are discussed during orientation, along with emergency contact information and instructions. Particular attention is given again to safety shortly before the two-month semester break begins since many students take advantage of this period to travel extensively throughout Europe and beyond.

Whereas it is not JYM policy, nor is it possible for us to monitor our students' travel itineraries during the semester break, we do require students to inform us of their general plans in case we need to get in contact with them. The Detroit and Munich Offices of Junior Year in Munich monitor the travel advisories and Consular Information Sheets published by the U.S. Department of State and disseminate this information to students.

The Junior Year in Munich Program is registered with the U.S. Consulate in Munich and we are always in close contact with Consulate officials. JYM students may register individually with the U.S. Department of State (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) if they wish to do so.

Important: Please be aware that the Privacy Act requires U.S. citizens over the age of 18 to provide a Privacy Act waiver before the U.S. Consulate can release any information about them to third parties, including their parents.

Sexual health and consent

Sexual health requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence. When engaging in sexual activity, consent is about communication. It needs to be a verbal, willing and clear agreement to engage in sexual activity free from the influence of coercion, threats, force or incapacitation due to alcohol or other drugs.

For information and resources regarding sexual health and wellness, sexual harassment and misconduct, please consult Wayne State University's sexual health and wellness guide.

Warning about illegal drug use

Our advice is simple and straightforward: Stay away from illegal drugs. The European Legal Database on Drugs has been established by the European Union Drugs Agency and the European Monitoring Center for Drugs and Drug Addiction to provide accurate information about drug use, drug addiction treatment and drug penalties within EU member nations.

According to the ELLD report on Germany, the possession, acquisition, cultivation, production, import or export of illicit drugs may result in imprisonment or fine. German police have an obligation to report drug offenses to the public prosecutor's office, and as a rule, prosecution is mandatory. Sentencing may be even more severe in other nations (both EU and non-EU) to which you may be planning to travel. Remember: Neither the U.S. Embassy nor Consulate, nor JYM can help if you get in trouble.